Advanced Research Assistant - Flow Cytometry
A new opportunity has arisen in our state-of the art Cytometry Core facility (CCF). The CCF is a high-end multi-user unit servicing internal researchers and external collaborators.
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone who is interested in specialising in an exciting and rapidly developing field.
About the role:
- You will be working as part of an established team of flow cytometry specialist providing flow cytometric cell analysis as well as sorting service to our researchers.
- You will be responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of flow cytometers.
- You will train and support other members of staff/researchers in the use of the equipment.
- You will also be expected to provide technical support for the facility, carrying out essential quality control procedures, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
The flow cytometry facility at the Wellcome Sanger Institute is a dedicated scientific service offering investigators with state of art flow cytometry instrumentation together with assistance in running samples, data analysis and experimental design.
The facility supports a range of flow cytometric techniques such as immuno-phenotyping, flow karyotyping (chromosome analysis), single cell sorting for transcriptomic assay and CRISPR-Cas9 knockout bulk cell sorting for genome wide screening.
The facility is equipped with 7 flow cytometers. These include high throughput cell analysers (BD LSRFortessa, Beckman Coulter Cytoflex) and high-speed cell sorters (Mo-Flo XDP, BD INFLUX and Sony MA900). The facility would soon be acquiring the latest flow cytometers with spectral detection technology (Cytek Aurora cell analyser and BigFoot high-speed cell sorter).
- BSc in Biology, Immunology, Chemistry or related disciplines or equivalent experience (>3 years) in flow cytometry work
- Detailed knowledge of flow cytometry with focus on technical expertise
- Experience with using Beckman Coulter or Becton Dickinson cell analysers model
- Experience with using cell sorters (BD Influx, Mo-Flo XDP, Sony SH800)
- Knowledge of data analysis software such as Flowjo, FCS Express
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and work independently
- Ability to organise workloads and be able to deliver under pressure
- Good communication skills
- Self-motivation and diligence
- Attention to detail.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture techniques
- Working knowledge of cytometric protocols or other laboratory techniques (immunology) with an emphasis on instrumentation.
Closing date: 30th June 2021