Advanced Research Assistant - Transgenic Technician
Salary range £27,030 to £32,707 per annum plus benefits
Fixed term contract until 30th September 2021
The Sanger Mouse Pipelines mouse production team is looking to recruit an enthusiastic and skilled Advanced Research Assistant with experience in transgenic mouse production and archiving techniques.
Your day to day activities will include mouse production of mouse mutants by both ES cell and Crispr based microinjections into mouse preimplantation stage embryos and cryopreservation of mutant lines generated for distribution to the wider scientific community.You will also require the use of surgical techniques in uterine and oviducal embryo transfer and vasectomy used for the production of pseudopregnant females. The post holder would also be tasked with the quality control of the cryopreserved resource using IVF.
In addition to contributing to the Sanger Mouse Pipelines mouse production you will provide mouse production and cryopreservation for Sanger faculty members as well as rederivation and cryopreservation for external customers. You will need to have a flexible working attitude and good communication and team working skills to help manage conflicting priorities of the pipeline but still meet demanding targets. All activities will require meticulous record keeping and high attention to detail whilst at all times having full regard to animal welfare and the 3R’s ethos.
- MSc or equivalent experience in biological sciences
- A thorough and current knowledge of microinjection and cryopreservation techniques in mouse mutant production
- Experience in handling mice
- Ability to work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Adaptable, enthusiastic and approachable
- Highly organised
- Quality orientated
- Methodical and thorough approach
- Able to work under pressure
- Strong computing skills
- Holder of a Home Office personal Licence
- Experience of production of mutant mice
- Experience of using a mouse tracking database
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a cover letter with your CV
Closing date: 31st July 2019