DevOps / Senior DevOps Engineer
Here at the world-famous and internationally respected Wellcome Sanger Institute, we have exciting opportunities for a DevOps Engineer and a Senior DevOps Engineer to accelerate the technical delivery of new digital products through automation and adoption of first-class infrastructure technologies. If you are interested in sharing your expertise and technical skill within an Agile team that is actively contributing towards solving real global challenges, apply now.
This role is a hybrid model with a mix of working on-site and remote.
About the Role:
Your team will support multiple scrum teams as they develop complex digital solutions for the CoTrack (CoVID), Conflux (MalariaGEN) application suites and any associated new products.
As DevOps Engineer, your role includes:
- Providing ongoing incident management and service request support for cloud environments and related systems and server
- Working within the platform technical support function to build and maintain performant and resilient infrastructure
- Working closely with fellow DevOps engineers, system administrator and security operations engineer to optimise system performance and secure against cybersecurity threats.
- Implementing technical infrastructure aspects of projects and providing sound technical input and guidance into Product/Project Management decisions
- Maintaining Surveillance Operations Systems by ensuring versions of code, operating systems and firmware are up to date and compatible, working together with the Senior DevOps Engineer and Platform technical lead to execute the system maintenance roadmap.
As Senior DevOps Engineer, your role includes:
- Leading and promoting the ongoing adoption of Ops automation best practices, developing ideas for new features and reinforcing reliability by monitoring industry developments and trends.
- Full line management responsibility for DevOps Engineers and Systems Administrators
- Planning technical infrastructure aspects of projects and providing input into product and project management decisions.
- Ensuring there is sufficient capacity within the cloud and on-premises infrastructure to support the various digital products and find innovative ways to report on this.
- Taking ownership of delivery of features from inception through to production on multiple projects
Well-versed in DevOps and Agile principles, alongside professional knowledge of popular ‘infrastructure as code’ technologies, you have the ability to quickly understand technical and process challenges and break down complex problems into actionable steps.
- Good (Extensive for Senior role) Linux (Ubuntu) system administration skills
- Experience (Extensive for Senior role) of Cloud-based technologies and management (Open Stack, AWS, Google)
- Knowledge and experience with modern software development practices, including version control, continuous integration and workflow management tools such as Jira, Gitlab, etc.
- Experience of operational cybersecurity principles and associated solutions
- Familiarity with SQL and databases
- Experience of Gitlab CI/CD, Gitlab Runner configuration and containerization (e.g. Docker, Singularity)
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as Nagios and Grafana
- Management and configuration of Apache Web Server as well as Tomcat Application Server
The Surveillance Operations team is part of a scientific network that connects researchers, clinicians, and global health leaders across the globe with cutting-edge DNA sequencing technologies and genomic research. Through a number of multi-centre projects, we provide a framework for generating, integrating and sharing genetic and genomic data, and for investigating key questions about COVID-19, malaria biology and epidemiology. These frameworks and proof of concept software developments are also the base for supporting genomic surveillance operations across various contexts going into the future.
As part of the MalariaGEN initiative delivering its current commitment under a grant provided by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Business Systems Team within Surveillance Operations are building a solution to support the tracking and management of malaria studies and their associated samples. This solution allows global partners to register studies, send Sanger samples for DNA sequencing, along with their associated metadata, and one which enables the tracking and management of these samples through a complex process at the institute with the results being data released to partners and the public.
In addition to this, the Business Systems team have also delivered a similar solution for the tracking of COVID-19 samples, which are currently being sent to the institute for DNA sequencing. The Business Systems team within Surveillance Operations continues to focus on the continuous improvement and development of these software applications going forward as well as producing other proof of concept software products in line with the Surveillance Operations strategy. It’s an exciting time to join the team and we are looking for hands-on, inspirational leaders to join our team.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the role may close when a successful appointment has been made.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.