Interim Capital Projects Director
9 month fixed term contract
The Wellcome Genome Campus is home to some of the world’s best research institutes and young companies in genetic research and biodata, collectively learning about and solving the most challenging global health problems.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an interim Capital Projects Director at the Wellcome Genome Campus. Whilst your role will be demanding, you will be rewarded with working on a beautiful Campus which is easily accessible by both car and our own bus service, colleagues who go the extra mile to help solve problems, a gym and fitness suite, active social committee, with plenty of places to meet and eat together. By managing the infrastructure, you will be enabling the very best of cutting- edge science to be carried out, leading to better health outcomes.
What you will be doing
You will lead a team who manage a supply chain of consultants and contractors, procuring and setting up a set of framework contracts to facilitate their rapid deployment whilst demonstrating best value. You will also chair a number of steering groups for the strategic infrastructure projects, reporting to the ACOO.Managing an established Estate requires a calm, strategic and forward-thinking mindset to accommodate the day to day challenges, but also plan for our future. We are looking for an experienced leader to bring a confident approach to prioritizing, managing and resourcing the portfolio of capital works projects which can range from the installation of a new CL2 lab, an office refurbishment, upgrading of our data centre or leading feasibility studies for a new building for data scientists.
You will also lead and create feasibility studies and business cases for our next funding round, working alongside the ACOO to create an Estates strategy setting out how we develop, manage and maintain the Campus. You will have a track record in business strategy with sufficient analytical and financial skills to ensure alignment of the strategy with our complex business need. You will need to work collaboratively with the faculty programmes, facilities management and health and safety teams, finance and hr business partners, plus other tenants on site and be comfortable tailoring your approach to find the best value for money solutions.
You will work alongside a broad range of stakeholders, both on and off campus, reporting upon the work and prioritising across the budget.
What it’s like to work here
Coming to work at the Wellcome Genome Campus is really very special. We are the largest Genome Research Establishment in Europe, set in 125 acres of landscaped grounds just south of Cambridge. Our Estate includes 175,000 m2 developed space with an active conference centre, a stately home, research laboratories (CL1,2 and 3) in two institutes, offices, on-site data centre, nursery, several cafes/restaurant and tenanted buildings for young entrepreneurial companies. We are a community of about 2500 staff, with 89 different nationalities attracting the world’s best talent working in genetics and biodata.
Whilst your role will be demanding, you will be rewarded with working on a beautiful Campus which is easily accessible by both car and our own bus service, colleagues who go the extra mile to help solve problems, a gym and fitness suite, active social committee, with plenty of places to meet and eat together. By managing the infrastructure, you will be enabling the very best of cutting- edge science to be carried out, leading to better health outcomes.
The role is an interim position to carry out a number of discrete tasks mentioned above, whilst we look for longer term permanent position. If interested, you will have the opportunity to be considered for the permanent role too.
- A relevant degree or significant demonstrated experience in an infrastructure related discipline combined with chartered membership of a professional body.
- A track record in programme managing and delivering a portfolio of infrastructure and facilities management projects within a project governance framework, ideally gained from an Estates Director role or similar. An understanding of the operational and maintenance requirements associated with the work.
- Experience of having led, designed and delivered similar facilities, with a working knowledge of the relevant statutory requirements and application processes
- Knowledge and application of risk and budget management, plus leading teams.
- Commercial experience and knowledge of contracts for procuring both contractors and consultants. Previous experience in setting up framework contracts would be desirable.
- Understanding and experience of the Health and Safety requirements in our environment and the applicability of the CDM regulations.
- Personable, collaborative approach with a problem solving mindset and ability to build good relationships with all stakeholders, tailoring approach as needed.
- Strategic thinker to prioritise the portfolio of work, develop an Estates Strategy, plus experience of scoping and leading feasibility studies for future campus projects
- Experience of reporting and presenting confidently at a board level and to external stakeholders
The role is an interim position to carry out a number of discrete tasks mentioned above, whilst we look for longer term permanent position.
If interested, you will have the opportunity to be considered for the permanent role too. We look forward to hearing from you and hopefully welcoming you to join our team.
Further information on our Campus can be found at:
Further information on the research work of our two main institutes can be found at:
To apply, please submit your CV plus a supporting statement of max 500 words, demonstrating how you meet the knowledge and skills required. We will consider applications on an ongoing basis.