Salary in the region of £33,800 per annum plus benefits
Are you self-motivated, accomplished at writing, and looking to develop in a press officer role?
We have recently grown our Communications team and are looking for a creative individual, driven by delivering quality media and public relation materials, to join us as a Press Officer. You will tell the story of the Sanger Institute’s science, and also the work of the Wellcome Genome Campus, to the media and public. You will work across diverse areas of science, creating content for use in conventional communications, social media and other initiatives.
You’ll have an understanding of an academic science culture, and alongside the team you will have a role in developing social media projects, preparing media and feature materials, developing video stories and arranging visits to the Institute.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute has been at the forefront of pioneering scientific research in genomics for the last 25 years. Our commitment to delivering big, bold exploratory research that pushes the boundaries of what is known and what is possible in genomics remains central to who we are and what we do. The Institute is a vital part of the Wellcome Genome Campus - home to some of the world's foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity's greatest challenges.
As an accomplished writer with strong editorial skills, you will contribute to the delivery of science-based media materials as well as supporting and guidance materials for Institute and Campus staff.
For full job description please see below.
- Experience of writing clear, accurate scientific communications
- Scientific degree or demonstrable equivalent understanding of biology
- Demonstrable ability to write media releases, blogs, social media content and to write for the web
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and diplomatic skills
- Demonstrable ability to persuade, influence and negotiate with managers at all levels in an organisation
- Demonstrable ability to coordinate with external and internal contractors for delivery of agreed services/goods
- Highly organised and focused
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Self-motivated and driven
- Technically skilled across print, online and imagery
- Understanding of an academic science culture
- Demonstrable skills in image manipulation
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a CV and cover letter, providing examples of proven experience against the essential skills selection criteria.
Closing date: 23rd June 2019