Principal Animal Technician- Full/part time and flexible working available
Salary range £27,030 to £32,707 (Additional pay through overtime, weekend and bank holiday working)
We have part time, full time and flexible working opportunities
Do you want to care for animals?
Looking for a new opportunity?
You will be responsible for the supervision and mentorship of a small team of technicians and the co-ordination of technical procedures in a specific area. Promoting and maintaining husbandry and welfare care for the animals within a defined area. You will also be expected to tackle various projects and to drive the implementation of standards and initiatives within your allocated area in support of the RSF managers.
We have a state of the art animal facility providing a controlled environment for the mice, and fish housed within it using IVC technology.
Our state of the art facility provides
- a dedicated animal barrier,
- germ free and containment giving provision for the housing and utilisation of model organisms in research in breeding colonies and experimental groups.
As part of the team you will be required to participate in weekend/public holiday rota (1 weekend in 3) to ensure we are staffed and maintained at all times. You will receive an enhanced over time rate during these periods of work.
What we can offer:
Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
- Institute of Animal Technology Membership level 3 or equivalent
- Awareness of A[SP]A and the 3 R’s
- Personal Home Office Licence Modules 1-3
- Extensive experience around rodents, mice or rats
- Experience of contributing to and following SOPs
- Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation
- Flexible and able to work independently with a degree of autonomy and ownership
- Strong information gathering and problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with conflicting demands
- Demonstrates an approachable attitude and a willingness to share information
- Ability to keep neat and accurate records
- Effective at communicating and liaising at all levels
- Confident decision-maker
- A team player attitude with strong professional ethos
- Computer literate
- Supervisory experience
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Passionate about understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
Our Campus, set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.