Here at the world-famous and internationally respected Wellcome Sanger Institute, we have an exciting opportunity for a talented Project Manager to join us. You will be part of the newly formed Change Delivery Team for Scientific Operations within the Institute. This new team (circa 8 FTE) is focused on the successful delivery of major change projects.
About the role:
As Project Manager, you will work on projects focusing on various aspects of significant operational change, with a high degree of risk for the organisation. Many of these projects are critical to the Sanger Institute’s success.
You will be responsible for:
- Planning, structuring, leading, and executing multiple projects of high risk and complexity, together with the delivery of multiple medium-sized projects to internal clients that meet identified operational needs.
- Matrix managing a variety of staff assigned to projects, often from different areas of the organisation.
- Establishing and growing the team to include the relevant skill sets, e.g. project/delivery management, business analysis, solutions design, change management, and process improvement.
- Managing and supporting the team to successfully deliver, dealing with escalations, and removing blockers.
- Working with senior managers and stakeholders across the institution to establish the new team and embed new ways of working.
The role requires a high level of competence for engaging people, understanding processes and core technology concepts.
- Project Management training or qualification, e.g. MSP, Prince2
- Multi-functional team coordination
- Confidently works with all levels and functions within multi-functional organisations.
- Demonstrates good networking and relationship building and the ability to effectively manage stakeholders both internally and externally
- Excellent track record in successful end-to-end project management in a process driven environment
- Track record of managing multiple projects at the same time
- Effective in RAID Management, Change Control and Critical Path Analysis
- Able to demonstrate commercial and academic understanding and appreciation.
- Significant breadth of experience at a project managerial level
- Proven track record of leading and implementing significant project system change
- Experience of working with commercial suppliers and external agencies
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment with the ability to interpret management information to amend plans
- The ability to quickly assimilate relevant scientific and technical details
- Successfully manage significant change
- Demonstrate success in delivering a number of complex projects through others on time, in budget and to agreed quality standards.
- Managing or matrix managing project resource
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and analysis effectively to different organisations and audiences; accurately and concisely
- Demonstrate an ability to provide, receive and record both routine and highly complex communications, electronically, orally and written
- Highly developed excellent communication skills with experience of dealing with people at all levels successfully.
- High level of influencing and negotiating skills.
Consistently demonstrates the following competencies:
- Flexible and adaptable to meet the needs of the Programme and potentially a broad portfolio of projects
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with team members and other staff
- Proven ability to be able to deliver customer specifications.
- Can demonstrate initiative, creativity, flexibility and a personal ethos of continuous improvement
- Show an ability to gain an understand of other professionals ‘problem solving’ requirements
- Proven organisational skills with the ability to plan and schedule effectively.
- Ability to focus, concentrate and accurately complete tasks within given timeframes while dealing with unscheduled interruptions e.g. changing priorities
- Strategic thinking, ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
- Ability to work independently
- APM Accredited
- Certification in Agile delivery method
Please include a covering letter, explaining how your experience and skills match the requirements of the role, and a CV with your application.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the role may close when a successful appointment has been made.
We have adopted a flexible-hybrid working pattern to allow for remote and on-campus flexibility. There will be an expectation to be in the office between 60-80% of the time to underpin the collaborative nature of this role.