Public Engagement Coordinator, Tree of Life Programme
This is an opportunity to join the most ambitious genomics programme in history as we attempt to sequence the genomes of all eukaryotic life in Britain and, with our partners in the Earth Biogenome Project, the full biodiversity of life on Earth. The Darwin Tree of Life project has been awarded funding to support a public engagement programme to share our ground-breaking research, and this role would be responsible for the management and coordination of these activities both within the Wellcome Sanger Institute and with our partners elsewhere in the UK.
About the Team:
This role sits within the Tree of Life Delivery and Operations Team (D&O) which includes Administration, Sample Management, ToL Lab, IT, Data Analytics and Informatics Infrastructure sub-teams. The team consists of 20 people and is supported by an offshore IT development team. This role will also work closely with the Connecting Science Public Engagement team.
About the Role:
This role will be responsible for the overall project coordination of the public engagement programme. You will ensure adherence to key project milestones, commission evaluation work, and liaise with all consortium partners to ensure the timely delivery of public engagement projects.
You will also involve organising and coordinating public engagement training events, a community conference and the development of an online platform for the sharing of best practice.
You will be an experienced public engagement practitioner, ideally with a science or research background. You will have strong interpersonal skills and will be able to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external. You will have the ability to organise and plan a programme of work, and will be able to problem-solve in order to ensure timely delivery of objectives.
- A degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) or Public Engagement related field, or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience of public engagement involving varied audiences and working with different stakeholders
- Excellent organisation and planning skills
- Experience of writing reports
- Ability to communicate with internal stakeholders, from senior academics to support staff, with tact and diplomacy
- Experience with basic computer software such as Word/Excel/Powerpoint
- Experience of evaluating activities and providing reports to funders or influencers
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise workloads
- Ability to solve problems and resolve day-to-day conflicts with respect to delivery of activity
- Good attention to detail and ability to develop risk assessments and contingency plans
- Flexibility in working style and practice including working for short periods away
- High-level interpersonal skills and ability to work within small and large teams
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Experience of working in an academic and/or research environment and preferably, with engagement and/or impact work associated with research projects
- Experience managing budgets
- Full UK driving license
Whilst the developments around COVID-19 continue to evolve, the Wellcome Genome Campus is closed for all but essential functions and facilities. People remain at the centre of everything that we do and the majority of our staff are now working remotely to ensure continuity of operations, making use of remote communication and collaboration tools.
Interviews will be taking place virtually and the successful candidate should expect to be fully supported through remote on-boarding and working from home until the Campus re-opens to all staff. This approach may vary for individuals located overseas and/or where a visa is required and starting will be based on a number of factors, we will be able to provide specialist advice to those affected candidates.
Please apply with a CV and Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role.
Closing Date: 2/12/20
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.