Here at the world-famous and internationally respected Wellcome Sanger Institute, we have an exciting opportunity for a number of self-motivated and enthusiastic Research Assistants to join the Long Read team within the DNA Pipelines department.
About the Role
The role of Research Assistant is a laboratory-based role where you will be responsible for performing routine techniques in the Long Read Team, including:
- DNA extractions
- NGS library preparation for various Long Read technologies
- Handling sequencing platforms like Pacific Biosciences platforms and Oxford Nanopore Technologies
Working as part of a team you will be expected to produce quality data within defined timeframes and assist with the everyday running of the laboratory.
About the Research
DNA Pipelines Operations are responsible for delivering the operational requirements necessary to deliver the institute's scientific strategy. DNA Pipelines Operations (in concert with the DNA Pipelines Development team) provides genomic and transcriptomic analysis services for the Institute’s faculty.
Find out more: https://www.sanger.ac.uk/group/operations-dna-pipelines/
- BSc in a biological science or relevant lab experience.
- A basic and general understanding of molecular biology and associated practical techniques relevant to the role.
- Good manual dexterity and attention to detail; quality driven.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office programmes including Word and Excel.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills in managing competing priorities in a busy environment.
- A high level of interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and efficiently, correctly interpret scientific data and work without supervision.
Please apply with your CV and a Cover Letter addressing how you meet the criteria set out above and in the job description.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.