We are delighted to announce that we are establishing a centralised Samples Team within the Parasites and Microbes (PaM) Programme in order to:
· Coordinate and manage across Sanger, Partners and Faculty teams the ethical, legislative and Institute policy requirements for samples
· Optimise the sample acquisition, shipping, receipt compliance and storage process
· Facilitate in conjunction with Partners the Samples metadata requirements
· Successful on-boarding of Partners for activities related to samples
We are seeking two people with a passion for engaging with our Partners, you’ll be detail orientated and able to review metadata needs of our samples, you will have experience in, arranging international sample shipments and possess a good understanding of the governance and regulation of the use of human samples. The Samples Manager role works closely with research Project Managers and Administrators within the Programme to drive regulatory compliance, logistical and operational matters related to the acquisition of samples (and equipment), to ultimately ensure that all activities for the PaM programme are compliant with current Institute Policy and applicable legislation.
You will be an experienced samples management professional responsible for the coordination and management of ethical, legislative and Institute policy requirements, and to lead and optimise the sample acquisition, shipping, receipt and storage process across the PaM Programme. The Samples Manager is a key contact for our internal and external partners, and will proactively participate in the on-boarding and training of new partners. You will work with human and non-human samples across bacteria, parasites, viruses and other infectious agents and associated vectors.
- Degree educated in a relevant scientific discipline [Biological Sciences, Genomics, etc.] with previous experience of ensuring ethical and/or legal compliance working on large, multi-disciplinary scientific projects in a science programme, research institute, or equivalent environment or Degree/professional qualification in Law, with previous experience of working in a science programme or equivalent environment
- Experience with organising international shipments, dealing with all required paperwork and any upcoming issues, including courier delays and custom clearings
- Good understanding of governance and regulation of the use of human samples
- Excellent IT skills and attention to detail in working with volumes
Competencies and Behaviours:
- Demonstrates good networking and relationship building with the ability both to manage stakeholders and to communicate effectively to internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Product concise, unambiguous and structured documentation for audiences of varying technical ability
- Passion for continuous learning
- Apple new approaches and ways of working where appropriate
- Excellent attention to detail
- Respect diversity and cultural differences and other people’s views and opinions
We have a flexible-hybrid working pattern model to allow for flexibly between remote and office working. You can also find out more about our inspiring campus here.
Please include a covering letter, explaining how your experience and skills match the requirements of the role, and a CV with your application.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, and the role may close early when a successful appointment is made.