We are seeking to recruit a Senior Bioinformatician who can help to develop a genomic annotation pipeline for the world’s key cancer genomics resource, in COSMIC (Catalogue of Somatic Mutations of Cancer).
COSMIC is the key information source in global human cancer research and is growing rapidly in content, scope and its value. This role will require the evolution and expansion of our systems to enable this growth. Data is currently gathered from a variety of sources, from manual curation to structured repositories, and standardised into the COSMIC database before release via our analytic website. This genetic and genomic data is increasing in quantity and scope, its value is enhanced by analytic highlights, and this position will improve the handling, annotation, meaningful presentation and user access of this information. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6323903/
You will be responsible for developing an automated genomic annotation system and pipeline to handle high throughput cancer genetics datasets, and also develop data structures that will support future COSMIC databases, downloads and websites. You must be a good communicator and able to understand the goals and aims of the collaborative COSMIC team and its customers of researchers, scientists and clinicians, globally. You will have experience in developing software and analytical tools across large and complex biological datasets, ensuring throughput and quality. You will bring new perspectives on options for storage, pipelining and visualisation. You will possess a degree in Bioinformatics or Computer Science, and demonstrate expertise in a modern programming language such as Python and (Oracle) SQL, within a Unix/Linux environment as well as a flair for innovation and out of the box thinking. This role would suit somebody with significant previous bioinformatics experience. You will join a multidisciplinary, committed and supportive team with the opportunity to work in conjunction with software developers, bioinformaticians, curators and scientists as well as colleagues and collaborators both in the Cancer Ageing and Somatic Mutation Research Programme and externally.
You can find out more about working with COSMIC here.
- Degree, PhD, or equivalent experience in Bioinformatics, Software development or Computer Science
- Significant data handling skills
- Experience in one or more scripting languages
- Expertise across large and complex relational databases (particularly Oracle), proficient in SQL
- Expertise in software development, particularly Python
- Experience with modern coding practices: Git, Agile, Cloud and Containers
- Ability to work with a high degree of detail and thoroughness, independently and part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with people from a wide variety of disciplines
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with internal and external groups
- A demonstrable, enthusiastic, can-do, proactive attitude
- Enthusiasm, commitment and attention to detail
- Experience or willingness to learn development best practice in DevOps, Ci/CD, TDDF in an Agile environment
- Exposure to genomic data annotation using Ensembl tools
- Experience of advanced data modelling concepts
- Cancer genomic data
- Excellent, broad based and self-reliant problem-solving skills
- Good time management skills leading to high quality solutions within often short timeframes
- Ability to manage prioritise your workload and meet tight deadlines
Whilst the developments around COVID-19 continue to evolve, the Wellcome Genome Campus is closed for all but essential functions and facilities.
People remain at the centre of everything that we do and the majority of our staff are now working remotely to ensure continuity of operations, making use of remote communication and collaboration tools.
Interviews will be taking place virtually and the successful candidate should expect to be fully supported through remote on-boarding and working from home until the Campus re-opens to all staff. This approach may vary for individuals located overseas and/or where a visa is required and starting will be based on a number of factors, we will be able to provide specialist advice to those affected candidates.
Please apply with your CV and Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role addressing the criteria set out above and in the job description.