We are looking for a senior bioinformatician (data manager), who has experience of handling large genomic datasets, to look after our data repository. The work includes managing various data collections, performing data retrieval and pre-processing data for research projects, and developing tools and practices for data management and processing.
Our team and the role:
The Genomics of Inflammation and Immunity Group at the Wellcome Sanger Institute, led by Dr. Carl Anderson, is a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of statisticians, geneticists, immunologists, computer scientists and clinicians who work together to understand the genetics and genomics of immune-mediated disease (www.andersonlab.info).
You will play a central role in a substantial research programme using high-throughput genetics and genomics to further our biological understanding of immune-mediated diseases and, ultimately, identify new drug targets for these debilitating diseases. The team has complex genomic and phenotypic data on tens of thousands of patients and healthy individuals, and we are looking to recruit a Senior Bioinformatician to lead the integration and management of all genetic and phenotypic data in the group.
You will develop and establish best-practices for storage, backup, and organization of genetic (WGS, WES and genotyping array data), genomics (RNAseq and single cell expression data) and phenotypic data for thousands of participants. The work includes creating pipelines, in a high-performance computing environment, that implement these practices, including standardized quality control pipelines for ensuring data integrity. You will be responsible for ensuring that our data is uploaded to appropriate repositories, ensure data security, and handle queries from external users of our data. Similarly, you will drive the ascertainment of external datasets and ensure that these are documented and aligned appropriately to internal datasets.
You will also play a key role in selecting samples for whole exome sequencing, minimizing unwanted duplicates and ensuring that samples are tracked throughout their journey through the Institute’s core sequencing and informatics pipelines. You will contribute to standardizing and scaling analysis pipelines and to the writing of scientific research papers.
You will have a collaborative approach to research and take a full and active role in discussions, contributing both ideas and expertise as necessary.
- A degree or equivalent experience in one of the following subjects: Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Life Sciences or equivalent experience
- Previous experience handling large-scale genetic/genomic data
- Experience working with relational databases (i.e. MySQL) and good knowledge of programming languages to manipulate large datasets (Python, R)
- Experience working in a Unix environment
- Previous experience as a Data manager, or an equivalent coordination role
Behaviours and Competencies:
- Strong organisational skills and ability to judge priorities
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and organise own workload
- Ability to work accurately, with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with other team members and external collaborators
- Knowledge of standards for exchange of human genetic, phenotypic and clinical data
- Experience of preparing data for analysis by others
- Experience in report writing and presentation skills
Whilst the developments around COVID-19 continue to evolve, the Wellcome Genome Campus is closed for all but essential functions and facilities.
People remain at the centre of everything that we do and the majority of our staff are now working remotely to ensure continuity of operations, making use of remote communication and collaboration tools.
Interviews will be taking place virtually and the successful candidate should expect to be fully supported through remote on-boarding and working from home until the Campus re-opens to all staff. This approach may vary for individuals located overseas and/or where a visa is required and starting will be based on a number of factors, we will be able to provide specialist advice to those affected candidates.
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role addressing the criteria set out above and in the job description.