Senior Health & Safety Adviser/Manager
Salary range £43,917 to £53,140 per annum plus benefits
The Wellcome Genome Campus, in the heart of the Cambridgeshire countryside, provides a unique and beautiful working environment with an impressive range of services and facilities. We pride ourselves on taking care of all our staff, providing a competitive and comprehensive range of benefits for you and your family, to compliment your lifestyle.
We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family-friendly benefits including a flexible working policy for those who may wish to apply to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
An opportunity has arisen within the Campus Health and Safety team who work in collaboration with managers and their teams across the Campus for the continuous improvement of health and safety standards.
About the role:
As a Senior Health & Safety Adviser/Manager you will have proven experience, ideally from working in a scientific laboratory environment, with the passion and necessary professional development for supporting managers with their health and safety responsibilities. Managing a small team and taking a hands-on approach, together you will drive the ergonomic / wellbeing and chemical health and safety programmes, whilst working closely with the biological and facility health and safety adviser team members. Given the diverse nature of the Campus you will have responsibility for a wide range of proactive activities, such as developing and delivering training, inspections and engagement, as well as complex and routine health and safety casework, including the investigation of events and occupational health concerns. Other relevant expertise therefore is highly desirable.
- Educated to degree level 6 or equivalent qualification in a biological or chemical discipline
- Graduate membership of the Institution of Occupational Health and Safety or actively working towards this professional status
- Demonstrable experience in a relevant health and safety role, for example working as a Health & Safety Adviser in a scientific environment
- A strategic thinker who can take a considered view of risk and the broader implications of given approaches and courses of action
- Good interpersonal and written / verbal communication skills with a track record of advising and influencing, coupled with the ability to respond to a diverse range of situations
- Positive, can-do attitude, focused on looking for solutions
- Capability of making independent decisions and then planning and working through their implementation
- Proven proficiency to plan and prioritise work with the minimum of supervision working independently, or as part of a team
- Experience and proficiency to engage an audience when delivering training sessions
- Competent user of IT in an office environment
- Management responsibility, ideally within a higher education, research institute or corporate environment health and safety adviser capacity
- Chartered membership of the Institution of Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent
- NEBOSH National Certificate in the Management of Health and Wellbeing at Work.
- CIEH Level 3 award in Education and Training or equivalent qualification
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a cover letter with your CV
Closing date: 6th August 2019