Senior Scientific Manager
We have an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Scientific Manager leading the Cancer Support Laboratory Team to join the Cancer, Ageing and Somatic Mutation (CASM) programme.
The Cancer, Ageing and Somatic Mutation Programme pioneers data aggregation and informatics innovation, develops high-throughput cellular models of cancer for genome-wide functional screens and drug testing, and explores basic scientific questions about the role somatic mutation plays in clonal evolution, ageing and development.
About the Role:
The Senior Scientific Manager will lead the Cancer Support Laboratory Team, ensuring the timely delivery of our service to agreed quality standards for various large-scale projects with changing needs. The role requires working closely and effectively with other groups in the CASM to positively influence the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the department’s workflow. It also requires establishing excellent working relationships with the stakeholders of all projects.
You will have experience in managing and motivating a team of people in a variety of roles, familiar with training and developing others, writing protocols and general laboratory management. You will be able to plan, organise, manage and clearly communicate all aspects of the group’s work, promoting confidence in stakeholders.
- Experience in setting up and running a wet lab pipeline
- High level of computer literacy. Excellent knowledge of Excel, Google Sheets, and Tableau
- Excellent organisation & adaptability to regularly changing priorities & workloads
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Extensive experience of a variety of molecular biology techniques
- Ability to follow instructions accurately, efficiently & to work without supervision
- To work with a degree of autonomy within area of responsibility
- Attention to detail
- Scientific understanding of genetic analysis
- Line management experience
- Awareness of cost constraints and budget process
- Experience of process review and improvement
- PhD (or equivalent qualification) and a proven track record in a relevant subject
- Postdoctoral research experience in relevant subject
Please apply with your CV and a Cover Letter outlining how you meet the criteria set out above and in the job description.