Sequencing Informatics - Software Developer
We have an exciting opportunity for a Software Developer to join the Sequencing Informatics Group at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. You will join a team working to add value to our DNA Pipelines data products and your role will be to support the development, delivery and continuous availability of pipelines and systems to expose data products and QC to scientists and their support teams.
About the Team:
The Sequencing Informatics group ensures that the harvesting, storage and analysis of DNA sequence information at the Sanger Institute is as swift and efficient as possible. To do this the team develops software to support the high-throughput data production activities of the DNA Pipelines Operations teams.
The role will require an understanding of bioinformatics, data analysis, tracking or visualisation tools, evidenced through a degree or equivalent software development. You will also require some experience of amending and running analysis pipelines, knowledge of at least one programming language suitable for computationally intensive algorithms and be comfortable using shell. You will also have experience or be willing to learn batch processing systems, and cloud compute.
You will have good communication and organisational skills enabling you to communicate comfortably with customers either remotely or face-to-face. You will be a self-motivated individual, able to work independently as well as being able to work well within a team environment. A logical and analytical thinker, you will possess good organisational and problem-solving skills.
Knowledge of at least one programming language suitable for computationally intensive algorithms e.g. go, and of at least one language suitable for rapid prototyping or higher level orchestration.
Comfortable using the shell, using or learning batch processing systems, and using or learning cloud compute.
Experience of amending and running analysis pipelines.
Understanding of bioinformatics, data analysis, tracking or visualisation tools.
Skills and Attributes:
Willing to work both in an independent manner under minimal supervision
Ability to work well within a team: keen to engage with tasks to help others, and to both take, assess and apply feedback from other team members, and to provide constructive feedback to others (most often by reviewing pull requests).
Good communication skills.
Good organisation and problem-solving skills
Inclusive, personal and emphatic
Logical and analytical thinker
Comfortable engaging with customers, either remotely or face-to-face
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role addressing the criteria set out above and in the job description.
Closing date: 8 July 2021
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.