Salary range: upto £50,000per annum plus excellent benefits
Two committed and enthusiastic Procurement Partners are required to join a busy procurement team at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. You will be expected to deliver a flexible, proactive and timely support service to scientists with non-procurement backgrounds, whilst gaining a broad knowledge of projects to allow key stakeholders to focus on scientific goals.
Such accountabilities will be:
- To develop collaborations between stakeholders and suppliers to ensure technically challenging equipment and reagents are available to scientists at the right price, time and quantity.
- Influence and negotiate with monopoly suppliers to provide materials for high through-put activities, where due to the leading edge nature of the science there is uncertainty in demand, timing and performance.
- Ensures appropriate and robust reporting mechanisms are in place and maintained for key internal and external stakeholders.
- Supporting continuous improvement of key P to P processes to ensure they efficiently and effectively met the changing needs of key stakeholders and the wider Institute
- Responsible for the day to day operational management of material supply chain associated with the various Sanger Institute Core Facilities or Science Programmes.
- Negotiate framework agreements, Supplier Agreements and SLAs with strategic and preferred suppliers and develop/draft contracts in conjunction with the legal team.
- Manage the process from draft to completion of complex RFQs, RFPs and Tenders, including writing detailed specifications, terms and conditions and evaluation criteria.
The successful candidates will be a persuasive communicator with a positive outlook. He/She will be able to think strategically, be continually seeking improvement and be able to resolve complex issues. Taking the initiative, managing change and ambiguity effectively are also essential criteria for this role.
- Liaising and providing a bespoke procurement management service to senior managers and budget holders that have variable commercial awareness.
- A commitment to work as a team and achieve the agreed outcomes for the organization. Self-starter, able to work autonomously, highly motivated and able to lead and inspire and has excellent influencing skills.
- Intermediate MS Excel, MS Power Point and MS word skills and ability to develop Excel models to meet business needs
- Qualified by being a Member/Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies or equivalent.
- Proven track record in developing strategic procurement in line with organisational aims and objectives. Has experience working within a complex environment with an annual spend of £50+ million. Ability to provide solutions to issues in a principled and proactive manner.
- Expert negotiator with suppliers and customers alike. Has the ability to develop collaborative relationships with the Institutes suppliers, so that cutting edge technologies can be delivered early to the scientist, making science cheaper and faster.
- Expertise in supplier risk management. Comfortable in dispute handling and conflict resolution.
- Experience of procurement technologies, systems and their development, including systems for market place procurement, contract management and workflows.
- Proven track record of taking underlying data and presenting evidenced based narrative and recommendations to Senior Managers to an agreed timetable. (
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels of seniority, both verbally and in writing. A high level of communication skills to be able to convey complex information in simple terms and to present ideas and solutions. Evidence of residing on committees /working groups providing sound argument to debate and influencing decision making.
- Solves complex challenges based on accurate identification of underlying factors/causes and is aware of the impact of proposed solutions outside their own immediate area.
- Proven ability to listen, understand business needs and provide “win-win” solutions in a proactive and principled manner.
- Experience of Project Management best practices; coordinating and providing deliverables to tight time frames with various information providers.
- Good knowledge of contract law, drafting of contracts working alongside a legal team. Has the ability to develop Service Level Agreements with realistic targets that are in line with organisational aims.
- Experience of providing a purchasing service within a scientific or Healthcare environment
- Familiarity with Agresso ERP system and use of Excelerator reports
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and will soon host Genomics England Limited’s 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. The Campus is also home to the Wellcome Genome Campus Courses, Conferences and Public Engagement (CCPE) programme. The CCPE programme delivers training and engagement focussed around genomics, its applications, and implications. Its vision is to inspire a range of audiences both on the Campus and beyond it, and make the world of genomics open and accessible to all.
To help researchers to develop their skills and networks, the Institute hosts a range of scientific seminars with internal and invited speakers, scientific group meetings and skills development workshops. In addition the Campus is home to the Wellcome Trust Advanced Course and Scientific Conferences programme and the Wellcome Trust Conference Centre.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.