Campus Commercial Director
We are seeking an experienced Commercial Director to support the future strategic development of the Wellcome Genome Campus. Our overall vision is to build on the established scientific foundations so that the Wellcome Genome Campus becomes an international centre for business, cultural and educational activities emanating from Genomes and BioData.
Academic research on the Campus is anchored around two world leading research institutes the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute. Connecting Science is a campus wide organisation that ensures a lively discourse around Genomes and Biodata, including running a highly successful conference centre, courses, public engagement activities and undertaking social research. Through a growing translation and entrepreneurship programme we are seeing an increasing number of companies on the Campus and our Biodata Innovation Centre is now reaching full occupancy since being opened by the Prime Minister in 2016.
To fulfil our vision we are starting to plan for the future development of the Campus and we are now seeking a Campus Commercial Director to coordinate an effective business strategy underpinned by sound business planning. Accountable to the COO, the role will bring together existing operational Campus teams with a focus on preparing for further growth in academic research and in particular commercial development in support of a vibrant ecosystem in Genome and BioData.
Knowledge and Experience
- Commercial awareness combined with a strategic mind-set.
- Proven experience as commercial director or other relevant role.
- Solid knowledge of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes.
- Substantial experience of working and influencing senior stakeholders.
- Experience of having led and directed large, multi-disciplinary teams to achieve high performance and continuous improvement.
- Strong experience of monitoring, managing and maximising use of resources, and of strategic financial management, with demonstrable experience of managing large and/or complex budgets and expertise in judging and advising on questions of value for money in major projects and programmes.
- Proven track record of successful delivery in major programmes and projects. This will include a strong understanding of the barriers to effective service delivery and improvement, particularly in relation to financial and operational management, and how to overcome them.
- Experience of having led and influenced change in the context of growth and development.
Skills and Abilities
- High degree of empathy with the science community and is able to collaborate, negotiate and make decisions in partnership with scientific leaders and senior tenants on the Campus.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships and partnerships with a range of stakeholders with divergent interests.
- Strong leadership abilities, with the capacity to inspire, energise and empower others to achieve high performance.
- Highly persuasive, with the ability to listen, analyse and respond to issues in complex or sensitive situations.
- Strong strategic planning, programme and project management skills.
Personal Style and Attributes
- Secures the confidence of others quickly and is respected as a source of counsel; builds networks and alliances and establishes rapport with others quickly.
- Comfortable working with a high degree of ambiguity.
- Resilient; demonstrates drive, energy and commitment.
- Works effectively with a range of partners and stakeholders to achieve consensus and deliver shared objectives.
- Is politically astute and able to cultivate and manage relationships to successfully deliver the vision for the Campus.
- Strong solutions-focus and uses creativity in problem-solving.
- Sound judgement and brings wisdom and insight.
The Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and host Genomics England Limited’s 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. The Campus is also home to Wellcome Trust Conference Centre and the Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science. Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation and supports learning by drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Campus.
Positions carry a significant core package of salaries and support backed by rewarding and flexible employment terms including excellent benefits and relocation support. For more information on our core benefits please visit: Sanger employee benefits.
We seek to provide a supportive family friendly environment to enable scientists at all levels to balance their professional and home lives. This includes options for flexible and part-time working, support and advice for staff taking maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave an on-site nursery, Campus summer holiday club and childcare voucher scheme.
For a discussion about the role, contact Martin Dougherty in the first instance on: firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is essential that in your written application you give evidence of examples of proven experience against each of the selection criteria listed in Knowledge and Skills of the person specification. These responses will be developed and discussed with those candidates invited for interview, together with the other criteria listed in Skills and Abilities.
Those candidates invited for interview will be asked to attend an assessment centre-based process on-site in September.
Closing date: 31st August 2017