Systems Support and Development Specialist
Salary £31,498 to £39,729 per annum dependent on experience
A non-pensionable market supplement of up to £6,375 is available depending on experience
We are looking for a Systems Support and Development Specialist to join the Corporate Services IT Team.
The primary objective of the role is to deliver a high quality, customer focused Agresso & Corporate Application support service to the Campus through the provision of technical support, training and solutions provision including R&D into new technologies. In addition to facilitate the effective use of these applications in support of the production and research aims of the campus.
This role requires a high degree of communication and people skills to deal with the user community. You will have the ability to learn quickly and understand complex software and database packages and be able to react quickly to change of customer & management requirements.
A broad range of experience in software service provision is required to support a unique environment of leading edge scientific customers, plus you must be able to assist in architecting and specification of scalable but flexible Application solutions for delivering a high quality end user experience.
You will be required to deputise for the team leader in their absence.
- Ability to work with Relational Databases such as MS-SQL or ORACLE
- Good knowledge and previous experience of working with ERP systems – particularly Agresso Experience of both implementing and upgrading ERP systems
- A track record of successfully delivering fit for purpose software solutions in a dynamic environment
- High level of analytical skills: understanding a business issue and providing a system solution
- Ability to clearly explain technical issues to non-technical users and communicate effectively at all levels with both internal and external stakeholders
- Good knowledge and previous experience of project planning and delivery principles coupled with Service Management framework experience such as ITIL
- A driven individual with a can do attitude who has a customer focused service in mind
- Significant experience of providing broad based software technical support and development services within a complex service environment
- Experience of delivering a high quality customer focused software support service
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with all levels of management & staff
- The ability to actively question and listen resulting in quick and efficient resolutions to problems
- High level of problem solving/analytical skills
- High degree of initiative and self-motivation
- In depth working knowledge/understanding of range of operating systems including Mac, Unix, Linux and networking systems
- Skills in financial systems (e.g. SharePoint, Tableau and other financial software)
- Good understanding of the internet, global networks and networking technologies and environments
- Experience in supporting IT infrastructure for some of the core Corporate Services functions (e.g. Finance, HR, H&S, Stores
- Computer Science related degree
- Experience of staff supervision
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and will soon host Genomics England Limited’s 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. The Campus is also home to Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science. Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation and supports learning by drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Campus. Its mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Closing date for applications: 31st August 2017, however applications will be considered and reviewed on an on-going basis and therefore the post may be filled before the deadline