Visa and Immigration Compliance Adviser
Salary range: £24589 to £30995pa plus excellent benefits
The science undertaken by our skilled teams here at the Wellcome Genome Campus, including the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and Connecting Science, is dependent upon our ability to attract and retain the brightest and best from around the world. We have a fantastic opportunity for a Visa and Immigration specialist, with a background in immigration compliance, to join our Human Resources Team in a newly created in-house advisory and compliance role.
At a time when the UK visa and immigration landscape is changing, the Visa and Immigration Compliance Adviser will be responsible for supporting the Senior Recruitment Adviser to provide an in-house, comprehensive and legally compliant advisory service. You will be the main point of contact for HR colleagues, new starters, employees and visiting workers with regards to visa and immigration-related questions and case management.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure compliance at all times with visa and immigration legislation, as mandated by the UKVI and relevant accreditation authorities.
- Act as the key point of contact for all visa and immigration queries and applications and manage a profile of casework assignments, some of which will be complex. .
- Develop and maintain policies, processes, guidelines, records and audit trails in relation to visa and immigration.
- Interpret, respond to and communicate legislative and Home Office guidance changes relevant to the organisation.
- Build relationships with relevant external partners including the UKVI, and contribute to sector immigration forums and consultation papers.
- Establish a new onboarding service for new starters and visiting workers.
You should be a highly organised, efficient and proactive individual with previous experience of handling a large volume of visa and immigration queries and casework. You will draw on your knowledge of immigration application routes, legislation and processes to provide a compliant, friendly and high quality service which will help us to attract and retain talent. Knowledge of Tier 2, Tier 5 and Visiting Visas is essential.
You will need to be tactful and discrete in communication and respect confidentiality. You will be able to fit easily into a team environment as well as being able to work independently. The ability to build effective relationships with members of the organisation and external partners at all levels is essential.
Part-time or flexible working arrangements will be considered.
- Previous experience of managing, prioritising and tracking a high number of visa and immigration cases at any one time
- Demonstrable working knowledge of immigration application routes, legislation and processes in particular relating to Tier 2, Tier 5 and Visit Visas
- A background in Immigration Compliance
- Experience in dealing with complex immigration issues
- Strong attention to detail – particularly with regards to understanding policy & procedure
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced, high-energy, demanding environment
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work to targets to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently, demonstrating exceptional time management, organisation, and judgment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and the Genomics England Limited’s 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. The Campus is also home to Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science. Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation and supports learning by drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Campus. Its mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
To help researchers to develop their skills and networks, the Institute hosts a range of scientific seminars with internal and invited speakers, scientific group meetings and skills development workshops.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis