Salary: Up to £40,000 dependant on experience + excellent benefits
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Category Buyer to work for a pioneering Scientific Institute based just outside Cambridge. Supporting the Procurement Partners, the post-holder will be required to deliver flexible, proactive and timely support to key stakeholders by providing procurement expertise to enable informed decision making in a complex environment with competing demands.
Key to this role is the ability to develop strategic management of allocated direct or indirect category spend in line with departmental objectives and work closely with the rest of the Procurement team to support the management of strategic relationships and execute major sourcing exercises.
You will also be responsible for ensuring established procurement processes are carried out and for continuous improvement throughout the procurement life-cycle. Providing information and advice to the Institute on market trends in the supplier base and commodities under their remit as well as analytical and operational support is essential.
- Self-starter, able to work autonomously, highly motivated and has excellent influencing skills
- Proven negotiator with suppliers and customers alike and has the ability to develop collaborative relationships both internally and externally
- Experience in category management
- Comfortable in dispute handling and conflict resolution
- Proven track record of taking underlying data and presenting evidenced based narrative and recommendations to Senior Managers
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels of seniority, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to convey complex information in simple terms and to present ideas and solutions.
- Proven ability to listen, understand business needs and provide “win-win” solutions in a proactive and principled manner.
- Intermediate MS Office skills and ability to develop Excel models to meet business needs
- Qualified in, or working towards MCIPS
- Experience of, or qualified in Project Management
- Experience of procurement technologies, systems and their development
- Familiarity with ERP systems
- Good knowledge of contract law, drafting of contracts working alongside a legal team. Has the ability to develop Service Level Agreements with realistic targets that are in line with organisational aims.
- Experience of providing a Procurement service within a scientific or healthcare environment
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease. Our goal is to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and will soon host Genomics England Limited’s 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre. The Campus is also home to Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science. Connecting Science inspires new thinking, sparks conversation and supports learning by drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Campus. Its mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society.
To help researchers to develop their skills and networks, the Institute hosts a range of scientific seminars with internal and invited speakers, scientific group meetings and skills development workshops.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Applications will be considered on an going basis