Principal Animal Technician
Salary in the region of £26,432 to £31,983 per annum plus benefits
We are looking for a Principal Animal Technician to join our team of licensed animal technicians within our Research support facility (RSF)
We have a state of the art animal facility providing a controlled environment for the mice, fish and frogs housed within it using IVC technology.
Our state of the art facility provides;
- a dedicated animal barrier,
- germ free and containment giving provision for the housing and utilisation of model organisms in research in breeding colonies and experimental groups.
You will be responsible for the supervision and mentorship of a small team of technicians and the co-ordination of technical procedures in a specific area. Promoting and maintaining husbandry and welfare care for the animals within a defined area. You will also be expected to tackle various projects and to drive the implementation of standards and initiatives within your allocated area in support of the RSF managers.
You will be required to participate in weekend/public holiday rota (approximately 1 weekend in 4) to ensure the RSF is satisfactorily maintained at all times
- Institute of Animal Technology Membership OR IAT Certificate with significant previous experience working in an animal facility
- Awareness of A[SP]A and the 3 R’s
- Ability to keep neat and accurate records
- Effective at communicating upwards and liaising with a range of partners
- Personal Home Office Licence Modules 1-3 + experience of conducting procedures
- Previous experience of handling and sexing offspring
- A teammate attitude with strong professional ethos alongside a flexible approach to work
- Holds a Personal Home Office Licence Module 4
- Familiarity with Individually Ventilated Cages/Isolators
- Previous experience with rodents and/or Fish and Frogs [GM an advantage]
- Computer literate
- Experience of contributing to and following SOPs
- Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation
- Management / supervisory experience
- Previous experience in contributing to / conducting staff appraisals
- Experience / willingness to train for, Named Animal Care and Welfare Officer (NACWO)
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Passionate about understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our dedication to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Closing date for applications: 14th March 2018
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application
Interviews may take place before the closing date.