Business Development Manager - Research Support Facility
Salary range £46,952 to £56,812 per annum plus benefits
Our vision is to create exceptional healthcare opportunities from extraordinary science.
Our Innovation Team at the Wellcome Sanger Institute (WSI) seeks to impact diverse areas of global healthcare from cancer treatment and infectious disease diagnostics to global health and precision medicine. We do this by finding new ways of applying and commercialising the Sanger Institute’s extraordinary scientific capabilities. We believe in thinking big, innovating together, being open and empowering others.
- Joining our team as an experienced Business Development professional you will focus on finding and promoting innovation in human healthcare and translating emerging technologies into biomedical resources for societal health benefit.
You will be evolving the opportunity for commercial and academic parties to access the scientific operational platforms of Genome Research Limited under commercial terms.
You will have a primary focus on the Research Support Facility (RSF), which manages the production and use of model organisms for the Institute and the greater scientific community.
You will be taking these capabilities to market building key customer relationships and identifying further business and commercialisation opportunities from scientific operational platforms beyond the RSF.
You will identify trends and formulate strategies to take advantage of evolving opportunities.
You’ll be joining an upbeat and supportive team, experts in translating early stage research discoveries towards commercial engagement and healthcare impact. In this role you will make an important contribution to enabling and supporting the biomedical research community.
Our team actively networks with peers to help create a dedicated community of professionals who are experts in translating early stage technologies with a team ethos of encouraging independence, knowledge-sharing and personal development.
- Be qualified to PhD level (or have equivalent experience) in a relevant scientific subject
- Understanding of the technology transfer processes
- Experience of successfully translating research into commercial opportunities
- Evidence of successful project management and contract negotiation skills
- Experience of successful formulation of business development plans and implementation
- Excellent influencing and written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to manage and progress multiple projects efficiently and effectively
- Proven ability to quickly grasp new scientific concepts and technologies and to identify where there may be commercial potential
- Knowledge of Life Science and BioData industries
- Knowledge and experience of building technology business cases for investment
- Exceptional team ethic
- Extensive knowledge of genetics and genomics
- Awareness of software development requirements and experience of software development project management
- Knowledge of the use of animals in research and their use in biological sciences would all be advantageous but by no means essential
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our dedication to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Closing date for applications: 10th May 2018