Research Support Facility Facilities Manager
Salary in the region of £45,709 to £55,037 per annum plus excellent benefits
We are currently seeking an Animal Facilities Manager to join us working in the Research support facility (RSF). Our state of the art animal facility provides a controlled environment for the mice, fish and frogs housed within it using IVC technology. As RSF Facilities Manager you will be a key member off the RSF Senior Management Team, reporting to the Head of RSF.
- You will have primary responsibility for delivering Engineering and Logistical support within a highly regulated environment.
- You will ensure the fabric of building conforms to Home Office and other regulatory standards to maintain the essential services required for the care, housing and scientific utilisation of the GM animals within the RSF
- Via your team, you will deliver and maintain a high quality and high health status environment.
- Supporting the science, you will have budgetary oversight and ensure timely procurement of equipment and consumables for the facility.
- You will be expected to tackle various projects and to ensure their timely delivery to support the infrastructure of the facility.
- You will be a key advocate of Health and Safety programs to ensure a safe working environment for all staff using the facility.
- A strong track record of managing Staff in a diverse scientific environment.
- An intimate understanding of the services required for supporting a GM breeding and experimental facility.
- A solid understanding of Home Office regulations through having held a Personal Licence or as a Named Animal Care and Welfare Officer.
- Experience in working to SPF standards, and associated infection control policies
- Strong leadership qualities coupled with proven staff management skills.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships, particularly with External equipment and service providers, giving direction on key issues relating to the RSF.
- A strong understanding of budgetary constraints with an excellent ability to develop purchasing and procurement strategies for the RSF activities.
- Effective communicator with wide range of persons of differing levels, abilities and knowledge.
- Excellent understanding of H&S activities and policies relating to RSF activities.
- A strong understanding of Project Management approaches would be advantageous but by no means essential
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Passionate about understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our dedication to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Closing date: Sunday 22nd April