Trainee Technical Assistant
Salary range £17,045 to £20,626 per annum depending on experience plus benefits
We are looking for a Trainee Technical Assistant to join our Support team within the Research support facility (RSF) alongside their team of experienced Technical Support Assistants.
We have a state of the art animal facility providing a controlled environment for the mice, rats, hamsters and fish.
Our state of the art facility provides
- a dedicated animal barrier,
- germ free and containment giving provision for the housing and utilisation of model organisms in research, breeding colonies and experimental groups.
What you'll be doing:
- You will provide husbandry and welfare care for the animals housed within the RSF.
- You will provide auxiliary support to the RSF which will include providing assistance with husbandry and welfare care for the animals, a cleaning service ensuring high levels of cleanliness are maintained at all times and monitoring the supplies of consumables.
Working as a Trainee Technical Assistant you will be operating machinery and there will be some lifting involved A significant amount of your day will be spent standing and for this you should be physically fit.
You will be required to participate in some outside normal hours working and at weekends/public holidays to ensure the RSF is satisfactorily maintained at all times.
- Being at ease around laboratory animals.
- Enthusiastic team player willing to learn.
- Experience of working in a manual/physical environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of sterilisation and disinfection requirements.
- Is able to follow set procedures.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Is able to keep neat and accurate record keeping.
- Comfortable at communicating at all levels.
- Basic computer literacy.
- Good basic numeracy/literacy skills.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Passionate about understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our dedication to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Closing date for applications: 31st of May 2018