Principal / Systems Support and Development Specialist
Principal System Support and Development Specialist: Salary IT Grade 1 - £47,773 to £57,806 per annum dependent on experience
Systems Support and Development Specialist: Salary IT Grade 2 - £37,739 to £45,664 per annum dependent on experience
We are looking for a Systems Support and Development Specialist to join the Data Services Architecture Team. You will be an integral part of the forward thinking and flexible team who provide critical services to their customers and are recognised for the value they provide.
The main objective of the role is to deliver high quality, customer focused Finance System (Unit4 Business World Milestone 6 – UBW-MS6) & other Corporate Applications support services to the Campus through the provision of technical support, training and solutions provision. This includes researching new technologies and developing appropriate solutions as required. The role should promote effective use of these applications at all times in order to support the research aims of the campus and the wider functions.
This role requires a high degree of communication and people skills to engage with the user community, including the 800 users of the UBW-MS6 application across the core modules; Finance, Logistics, PCB, Reporting (Excel, Excelerator and ARC) and the interface to the Jagger eMarketplace. You will learn quickly and as working as part of a team, understand complex software and database packages and be able to react quickly to change of customer & management requirements. You will be involved on-going development of the ERP system with more modules to be implemented and an on-going improvement plan to deliver, taking more responsibility for the dedicated management of change.
A broad range of experience in software service provision is required, but specific knowledge of the Unit4 Business World application is a significant advantage to deliver immediate value to the role. You will require to support a unique environment of leading edge scientific customers and those in more traditional finance and logistics departments. You will also be required to assist in architecting and specifying scalable but flexible Application solutions to deliver a high quality end user experience
- Good knowledge and previous experience of working with ERP systems in a support or implementation role – specifically Unit4 Business World (formerly known as Agresso)
- Ability to work with Relational Databases such as MS SQLServer and/or Oracle
- A track record of successfully delivering fit for purpose software solutions in a dynamic environment
- High level of analytical skills: understanding a business issue and providing a system solution
- Ability to clearly explain technical issues to non-technical users and communicate effectively at all levels with both internal and external stakeholders
- Good knowledge and previous experience of project planning and delivery principles coupled with Service Management framework experience such as ITIL
- A driven individual with a ‘can do attitude’, who has customer focused service in mind
- Significant experience of providing broad based software technical support and development services within a complex service environment
- Experience of delivering a high quality customer focused software support service
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with all levels of management & staff
- The ability to actively question and listen resulting in quick and efficient resolutions to problems
- High level of problem solving/analytical skills
- High degree of initiative and self-motivation
- In depth working knowledge/understanding of range of operating systems including, Windows, Mac, Linux and networking systems
- Skills supporting and/or implementing financial systems, including reporting functionality Good understanding of the internet, global networks and networking technologies and environments
- Experience in supporting IT infrastructure for some of the core Corporate Services functions (typically these include, Finance, Procurement, Stores, Health & Safety and the HR departments)
- Computer Science related degree
- Experience of staff supervision
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and promoting equality in careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and have an active Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme of activity. We will consider all applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. We are open to a range of UK-based flexible working options including part-time or full-time employment as well as flexible hours due to caring or other commitments.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date: 30th June 2018, however applications will be considered and reviewed on an on-going basis and therefore the post may be filled before the deadline.