Scientific Services Representative
Salary range £33,965 to £41,097 per annum, plus benefits
We are seeking to recruit a highly proficient, knowledgeable and collaborative Scientific Service Representative (SSR) for the DNA pipelines department.
Using your extensive technical expertise, you will be working closely with other SSRs and Product Leads to manage customer expectations and communicate matters relating to operational activities of the team, including the timeliness and quality of data delivery within each product line. Dealing with changing priorities on a daily basis as well managing the performance of all immediate co-workers will be an ongoing challenge.
More specifically, you will work closely with other SSRs to communicate workload priorities to Product Leads and Team
Leaders. Using your knowledge of capacity and throughput in each service provision, you will work with Product Leads
to agree delivery times for customers.
You will manage all aspects of the scientific study from ethical approval to budgetary control and provide supervisory
support to junior staff to ensure quality and timeliness is maintained across the operation. Supporting the submission
process, you will agree the service level for each project with the customer upfront and provide details and support on
submission requirements. You will be responsible for the uploading of study information to LIMS to support the
laboratory process as well as generating routine monthly reports relating to finance and management information.
Collaboration with all relevant parties from the Customer Relationships Manager to the Team Leader and SSRs to
identify future pipeline demands, capacity and throughput issues will be of paramount importance. You will need to
ensure full compliance with quality, SOPs and H&S procedures that all individuals adhere to existing risk assessments
and SOPs at all times and coordinate the preparation of new documents when required.
You will design and deliver appropriate training packages to less experienced members of staff, provide feedback
regarding training progress, and make a formal assessment of their competency.
Particularly challenging aspects of the role:
• Coordinating numerous projects in parallel and working on several tasks simultaneously.
• Managing rapidly changing workloads and priorities against conflicting interests of multiple projects.
• Operating with a high level of independence and within fairly broad parameters.
- BSc in a biological science or equivalent experience.
- • Sound understanding of the concepts and principles that underpin the science of the pipelines; clear knowledge of the
- • Experience in maintaining and managing complex customer relationships over protracted time periods.
- • Proven track record in customer facing role
- • Excellent organisational and planning skills in managing competing priorities in a busy environment.
- • A high level of interpersonal and communications skills.
- • A collaborative nature; demonstrable experience and skills intact and diplomacy when dealing with difficult situations.
- • Computer literate: LIMS and Microsoft Office programmes including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- • Experience of working in a supervisory capacity.
- • Administrative and/or vocational qualification(s).
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Passionate about understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our dedication to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Closing date: 24th June 2018