Senior Software Developer
Salary in the region of £41,000 plus excellent benefits
We are recruiting a senior software developer to join our team and build Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) for the UK’s leading genetic research institute dedicated to improving human health. There will be exposure to all aspects of software development, from eliciting requirements from users, through development and testing, to deployment to production systems. The technologies used change over time, and you will be able influence the ones that are chosen.
You will work with a variety of technologies (including Vue.JS, Rails, Python, Java, REST, MySQL, RabbitMQ, Ansible, Git and OpenStack) to provide web-based LIMS to our internal customers. You will develop software that is used in the laboratories to track the work carried out and help the organisation work towards its mission to use genome sequences to increase understanding of human and pathogen biology to improve human health. The domain constantly evolves and challenges developers to construct inventive solutions.
- An upper second honours degree in Computing and IT or equivalent experience
- An in-depth knowledge of at least two programming languages one of which will be Java, Python or Ruby
- A years' of experience developing multi-user concurrent systems using MVC frameworks in a commercial setting
- A years' years of experience with modern software development tools and practice including test driven development, distributed version control and continuous integration
- Experience of at least one of the following:-
- Working with relational databases (design and interaction)
- Working knowledge and experience of agile project methodologies
- Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and/or a passion for user experience (UX)
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills are essential
- An interest in ever-changing science that supports research at scale to deliver outstanding improvements in human an animal health
- You are relaxed about change, viewing it as an opportunity
- You feel confident when working as a team to design the best solutions
- You are eager to learn new skills
- You are curious about processes and improving them
Closing date: 22nd July 2018
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our dedication to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.