Business Development Manager
Salary range: £35,721 - £40,000 per annum (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits. Permanent contract
Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science is recruiting for a driven Business Development Manager for the Conference Centre team.
You will be responsible to source and attract new clients in new markets and countries that support the Connecting Science mission.
You will actively develop a sales strategy that will help to meet and exceed targets. You will:
- Seek new opportunities both nationally and internationally
- Maintain relationships with key external clients through regular contact and site visits, as well as with internal Campus clients.
- Alongside the Conference & Events Manager prepare forecast and budget sales as required.
- Work with Connecting Science Marketing and Communications team to agree and deliver a plan that will drive business/delegate numbers.
- Manage the systems that support the smooth operation of the business
- Responsible for the development of the Business Support Office to ensure they reach their full potential
- Educated to degree level or extensive experience in a sales/event based environment
- Able to demonstrate success proactively identifying and developing new leads and researching new channels to increase business
- You will be self-motivated and driven to succeed
- Excellent communication, networking and negotiation skills
- Ability to develop good working relationships with people at all levels
- Able to lead, support and develop a team
- Experience of working with academic researchers or commercial organisations organising workshops, conferences, or other events
- Be able to work as part of a team within a defined organisational structure
- Experience of database entry, along with good knowledge of MS Office applications (especially Excel and Word)
- Knowledge and previous application of a conference booking system
- Close attention to detail and accuracy
- Methodical and well-organised approach to work
- Multi-tasking skills
The Wellcome Genome Campus Conference Centre boasts world-class event and meeting spaces designed for knowledge sharing in the scientific research community. It combines stunning contemporary architecture with the Grade II*- listed Hinxton Hall, offering flexible meeting rooms for 12 to 300, as well as accommodation and catering, all set in the tranquil Campus grounds.
The Wellcome Genome Campus Conference Centre is part of Connecting Science.
Wellcome Genome Campus Connecting Science’s mission is to enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society. It inspires new thinking, sparks conversation, supports learning and measures attitudes, drawing on the ground-breaking research taking place on the Campus.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges. It is home to some of the world's foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, including the Wellcome Sanger Institute which is the largest organisation on Campus, the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), Open Targets and Genomics England.
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
We welcome applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a cover letter alongside your CV, explaining your suitability to the role.
Closing date for applications: 25 October 2018