Animal Technicians / Trainee Animal Technicians - Part time & Full time
Do you want to care for animals?
Looking for a new opportunity?
We have part time, full time and flexible working opportunities for:
- Trainee Animal Technicians; Salary range £17,489 to £20,832
- Animal Technicians; Salary range £20,453 to £24,748
We have a state of the art animal facility providing a controlled environment for the mice, and fish housed within it using IVC technology.
Our state of the art facility provides
- a dedicated animal barrier,
- germ free and containment giving provision for the housing and utilisation of model organisms in research in breeding colonies and experimental groups.
Daily task and responsibilities would include:
- providing food and water for the animals and organising special diets if needed
- carrying out regular observations and health checks
- making sure that animals are clean, comfortable and behaving as expected
- keeping up high levels of hygiene for each animal
- monitoring heating, lighting and humidity
- monitoring the weight and growth of animals
- maintaining high standards of cleanliness throughout the animal facility
- keeping accurate records and inputting data onto computer systems.
As part of the team you will be required to participate in weekend/public holiday rota (1 weekend in 3) to ensure we are staffed and maintained at all times. You will receive an enhanced over time rate during these periods of work.
Training and beyond:
We will provide you with all the appropriate training for you to fulfil your role and offer you a career pathway so you can continue to progress and learn new skills with us!
Once you have the experience and have completed the training required, you could also be involved in setting up scientific studies and breeding animals. You may also train and mentor other Animal Technicians and trainees.
What we can offer:
Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
- Institute of Animal Technology Certificate or equivalent
- Experience in an animal facility
- Awareness of A[SP]A and Refinement, Replacement & Reduction
- Ability to keep neat and accurate records
- Effective at communicating and liaising with others
Trainee Animal Technicians:
- Comfortable handling and being around animals
- Good basic literacy and numeracy skills
- Ability to keep neat and accurate records
- Good manual dexterity
- Able to follow set procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- Holds a Personal Home Office Licence
- Previous experience with rodents and or Fish and Frogs [GM an advantage] and assisting with
- regulated procedures
- Previous experience of handling and sexing offspring
- Familiarity with Individually Ventilated Cages/Isolators
- Experience of contributing to and following SOPs
- Knowledge of meaningful Health and Safety legislation
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Passionate about understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
Our Campus, set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.