Senior Database Curator (Scientific) - COSMIC
Salary in the region of £ £36,373 - £44,011 (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits
Permanent/ Open Contract
We are seeking a Senior Database Curator to join our expert curation team to grow the COSMIC project at the Wellcome Sanger Institute (https://cancer.sanger.ac.uk).
With several years’ experience in scientific research (laboratory, computational or literature-based), you will bring scientific and computational expertise to our curation of genetic mutations and how they affect human cancer. You will be working with an expanding team of biocurators to capture published knowledge of somatic mutations across all human cancers, focusing on reports of whole exome and whole genome screens. Core responsibilities will include prioritising the relevant literature; extraction, validation and formatting raw variant and clinical data from supplementary material and other large data sets; and submission into COSMIC. Within this role, you will have opportunities to improve the curation pipeline, as well as exploring new ways of presenting, communicating and analysing the information across COSMIC.
This post offers an excellent opportunity to work in the expanding field of biocuration and to support cutting-edge research in cancer genetics. There are many learning and development opportunities to grow as a scientist/biocurator in this environment. The post would suit a curator with some experience in genetics or oncology, or a lab scientist with computational expertise wishing to move into the field of biocuration.
This curator position can be very flexible; after an initial training period on campus, we may offer home-working with monthly team meetings onsite. This may also be a part-time position, allowing working school hours or 3 / 4 days per week.
- Data handling skills (large scale)
- Communication skills (internal to team and external)
- Degree in molecular biology
- Previous experience of working with databases
- Ability to organise own workload
- Familiarity with computing environments, particularly UNIX/Linux
- PhD in oncology/genetics or equivalent experience
- Scientific data curation experience
- Knowledge of Perl and/or Python
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date: 11th January 2019