Senior Project Manager - COSMIC
Salary Range: of £45,886 – £56,083 (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits package
Permanent / Open Contract
COSMIC is looking for an experienced, adaptable and collaborative project manager/scrum master with excellent communication and mentoring skills with a track record of successfully managing large complex projects and introducing Agile methodologies to development teams.
A revolution is underway in health informatics, with genetics increasingly important in understanding human health and disease. COSMIC, a database of genetic mutations in cancer, is used by over 3000 scientists every day across the informatics, diagnostic and pharmaceutical industries.
We are beginning a large-scale redevelopment of the COSMIC infrastructure and services as we extend our global reach in precision oncology. We are now looking for an experienced and talented Project Manager/Scrum Master to manage the full range of COSMIC projects, including these large-scale redevelopments which underpin the resource.
You will be an experienced, certified Project Manager with 3 or more years working in an Agile environment. You will drive vision and strategy and use appropriate methods (eg Scrum, Waterfall) to manage and deliver projects on time, within budget and to agreed quality standards. You will work with COSMIC development teams facilitating discussion, decision making, problem solving and innovation to create the best solutions and experience for our global user base.
Using your Agile experience you will serve, educate and support the Product Owner and Development Team in their aim to meet customer needs. You will guide and coach Scrum teams on Agile/Scrum best practices and values and work towards achieving higher levels of Scrum maturity in the team, building a supportive and collaborative team culture.
- Demonstrable track record of leading and implementing change
- End to end project management experience using Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Substantial experience on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of contexts
- Ability to communicate, influence and negotiate at all levels effectively
- Good leadership skills with ability to work in a constantly changing environment and across different project types
- Project Management certification eg PRINCE2, PMP, APM
- Proven track record of continued and recent education in project management/Scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, self study, etc
- Some knowledge or interest in cancer biology/genetics
- Some technical experience in software development
- Knowledge and experience of a range of Agile methodologies such as Scrum, XP, Lean and Kanban and techniques such as User Stories, TDD, and CI
- Some experience in a Scrum Master role
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date for applications: 26th February 2019