Research Administrator - Cellular Genetics
Salary in the region of £35,998 - £43,558 (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits
Permanent/ Open Contract
The Wellcome Sanger Institute conducts cutting edge genomic research on an unprecedented scale and our administration team plays a vital role in enabling and supporting our science. The Cellular Genetics Programme is currently looking for a dynamic, ambitious, and skilled Research Administrator to support the Programme, and join our pioneering organisation.
Providing dedicated support to the Faculty Teams within the Cellular Genetics Programme, our Research Administrators need to take a collaborative approach to their work. Preferable candidates will hold a science degree and will have proven experience of working within a research environment. We are looking for individuals who can provide an efficient administrative service and facilitate effective communication between the Programme, key internal stakeholders and external partners. Strong project management skills, as well as recent experience of handling budgets and producing high quality grant applications, reports and briefing materials will be advantageous. A good understanding of the governance and regulation of the use of human samples is essential.
We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic individuals with a desire to develop and progress. Our Administrative Career Development Programme means that there will be plenty of opportunity to expand your horizons with us.
- Previous scientific experience or qualification
- Previous experience of working in a science programme or equivalent environment
- Proven experience of effective communication with internal and external customers
- Provide experience of coordinating briefing materials across a range of subjects
- Experience of producing, managing, and reporting on budgets
- Knowledge and understanding of scientific third party funding
- Ability to apply project management methodology as required
- Exceptional organiser with the ability to prioritise and manage work load
- Good understanding of the governance and regulation of the use of human samples
- Excellent IT skills, including Excel
- Well-developed negotiating and influencing skills
- Ability to write and structure reports
- Excellent attention to detail
- Clear understanding of issues of confidentiality
- Able to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively
- Solution focused
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships
- Educated to degree level in a scientific subject
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date for applications: 5th March 2019