Area Manager - Animal Facility
Salary range £35,241 to £42,241 per annum dependent on experience, plus benefits
We are seeking an Area Manager to join us and work within our state of the art animal facility known as the Research Support Facility (RSF). Responsible for the operational running of a Suite, including resources and staff management, you will foster an environment based on regulatory compliance that supports research and promotes a culture of care and respect for animals and staff across the RSF.
Flexible and solution-focussed you will manage and lead the operational activities of a suite within the RSF, responsible for delivery of animal care, implementation of policies, procedures, promoting best practice and the resolution of workflow and resource issues.
You will benefit from having some supervisory or management experience in order to oversee staff wellbeing, performance and development. Pro-active and energetic you will help motivate, develop and lead the team to respond effectively to organisational strategic change relating to the facility
The facility provides a controlled environment for the mice, and fish housed within it using IVC technology. Our state of the art facility provides;
- a dedicated animal barrier,
- germ free and containment giving provision for the housing and utilisation of model organisms in research in breeding colonies and experimental groups.
You will be required to participate in weekend/public holiday rota (1 weekend in 3) to ensure the RSF is satisfactorily maintained at all times
For an informal chat please email with Carl Shannon on firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical knowledge, skills and experience
- Institute of Animal Technology IAT Membership or equivalent.
- Significant work experience in an animal facility.
- Personal Home Office Licence Modules 1-3 + experience of conducting specialist & routine regulated procedures.
- Detailed working knowledge of the maintenance of GM rodents and/or fish and frogs.
- Experience of reviewing, developing and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Comprehensive knowledge of Home Office regulations, Health and Safety, COSHH and other relevant legislation. (e.g. Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 (ASPA) and the Code of Practice).
Skills and Attributes
- Experienced at maintaining effective communication channels at all levels.
- Supervisory experience of staff
- Flexible approach to the work of the facility as well as showing commitment to the team over self.
- Computer literate.
- Proactive approach to problem solving and solution focussed
- Capable of independently initiating tasks, and seeing them through to completion.
- Experience in an operational line management role and mentoring and developing staff
- Familiarity with Individually Ventilated Cages/Isolators.
- Previous experience in contributing to / conducting staff appraisals.
- Personal Home Office Licence Module 4-5.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please provide a CV and cover letter.
Closing date: 24 February 2019