Advanced Research Assistant - DNA Pipelines
Salary range £26,960 to £32,622 per annum, plus benefits
The DNA Pipelines department has a central role within Wellcome Sanger Institute (WSI), delivering high quality data to our faculty. As an Advanced Research Assistant you will be laboratory based where you will be responsible for performing either routine techniques in a high throughput environment or niche processes in a bespoke environment. Working as part of a team you will be expected to produce quality data within defined timeframes and assist with the everyday running of the laboratory. You will have a strong understanding of the team product portfolio and the scientific theory underpinning the processes.
- BSc in a biological science or equivalent experience.
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience in relevant techniques to the role.
- Previous work experience as a technician / research assistant in a molecular biology laboratory.
- Ability to correctly interpret scientific data.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills in managing competing priorities in a busy environment.
- A high level of interpersonal and communications skills.
- Proven track record of consistent delivery in terms of volume/speed/quality.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office programmes including Word and Excel.
- Computer literate: LIMS experience.
- Basic programming of automation platforms.
- Experience with automation and high-throughput assays.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a CV and cover letter with your application.
We welcome full and part time applications - please indicate in your application your preferred
Closing date: 05 March 2019