Trainee Technical Assistant
Salary range: £17,489 to £20,832 per annum plus benefits
We are looking for a Trainee Technical Assistant to join our Support team within the Research support facility (RSF) alongside their team of experienced Technical Support Assistants.
We have a animal facility providing a controlled environment for the mice, rats, hamsters and fish.
Our animal facility provides
- a dedicated animal barrier,
- germ free and containment giving provision for the housing and utilisation of model organisms in research, breeding colonies and experimental groups.
What you'll be doing:
On a day-to-day basis you will be providing auxiliary support to the RSF. This includes portering, moving of equipment in addition to maintaining high standards of hygiene through cleaning, as well as using automated processes to provide consumables for our animals.
Working as a Trainee Technical Assistant you will be operating machinery and there will be some lifting involved A significant amount of your day will be spent standing and for this you should be physically fit.
You could be required to participate in some outside normal hours working and at weekends/public holidays to ensure the RSF is satisfactorily maintained at all times which would be paid at an enhanced rate.
- Being at ease around laboratory animals.
- Enthusiastic team player willing to learn.
- Experience of working in a manual/physical environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of sterilisation and disinfection requirements.
- Is able to follow set procedures.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Is able to keep neat and accurate record keeping.
- Comfortable at communicating at all levels.
- Basic computer literacy, numeracy/literacy skills
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Passionate about understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health.
Our Campus, set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Closing date: 3rd April 2019