Salary range £19,709 to £23,848 per annum plus benefits
Full and part time applications will be considered (pt 25 hours per week/ft 37 hours per week)
We are seeking a highly motivated and flexible individual to join our team. As a Research Assistant you will be working the laboratory where you will be responsible for performing either routine techniques in a high throughput environment or niche processes in a bespoke environment in line with SOP's.
The DNA Pipelines department (DNAP) has a central role within Wellcome Sanger Institute, delivering high quality data to our faculty and their collaborators over a range of techniques and platforms. These include, but are not limited to, Sequencing using Illumina & PacBio technologies, Genotyping using Illumina, Agena BioScience and Fluidigm technologies and BioNano Genome mapping. We have a Sample Logistics team providing import and export of samples globally and internally. This team also offers extraction services utilising Qiagen technologies.
You will be working as part of a team and you'll produce quality data within defined time frames and assist with the everyday running of the laboratory.
We will consider applications from recent graduates in a scientific discipline looking to start a career in molecular biology and gain experience in a range of techniques.
- BSc in a biological science or relevant lab experience.
- A basic and general understanding of molecular biology and associated practical techniques relevant to the role.
- Good manual dexterity and attention to detail; quality driven.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills in managing competing priorities in a busy environment.
- A high level of interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and efficiently, correctly interpret scientific data and work without supervision.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office programmes including Word and Excel.
- Previous work experience as a technician / research assistant in a molecular biology laboratory.
- Computer literate: LIMS experience.
- Experience with automation and high-throughput assays.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a CV and cover letter with your application.
Closing date: 28th March 2019