Senior Health & Safety Adviser
Salary range £43,917 to £53,140 per annum plus benefits
Campus Health and Safety act as a conduit across the Campus for the continuous improvement of health and safety standards and related disciplines through advising, coaching and influencing management and their teams.
You will assist in the development and deployment of the Health and Safety Strategy for the Campus. In particular, to work in collaboration with the Head of Campus Health and Safety to directly influence the Directors and other senior management, Faculty, and Health and Safety Committees, to ensure that the strategy meets organisational needs. Alongside this you will manage and develop two direct reports.
You will have proven experience from working in a scientific laboratory environment with a passion and the necessary professional development for supporting managers with their health and safety responsibilities. You will play a lead role in chemical and physical health and safety, whilst liaising closely with the Biological Safety Officer and Facility team members. Given the diverse nature of Campus activities this role will have responsibility for a wide range of complex and routine health and safety casework, including the investigation of injury and non-injury events and occupational health concerns. Other relevant expertise therefore is highly desirable.
- Educated to degree level 6 or equivalent qualification
- Graduate membership of the Institution of Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent health and safety professional body with an active CPD programme
- Strategic thinker who can take a considered view of risk and the broader implications of given approaches and courses of action
- Demonstrable experience in a tactical health and safety role, for example working as a Laboratory Manager or in a Health & Safety Adviser role in a scientific environment
- Good interpersonal and written / verbal communication skills with a track record of advising and influencing, coupled with the ability to respond to a diverse range of situations
- Positive, can-do attitude focused on looking for solutions
- Capability of making independent decisions and then planning and working through their implementation
- Proven proficiency to plan and prioritise work with the minimum of supervision working independently, or as part of a team
- Experience and proficiency to engage an audience when delivering training sessions
- Competent user of IT in an office environment
- Experience of a senior health and safety adviser position within a higher education, research institute or corporate environment
- Educated to degree level 6 in a biochemical or chemical discipline
- Chartered membership of the Institution of Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent
- Scientific (biological / chemical) research experience, including publication in peer-reviewed journals
Our Campus provides a unique and beautiful working environment with an impressive range of services and facilities and we pride ourselves on taking care of all our staff and provide a competitive and comprehensive range of benefits for you and your family, to compliment your lifestyle.
We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family-friendly policies and benefits including a flexible working policy for those who may wish to apply to amend their working pattern or arrangement
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a cover letter with your CV
Closing date: 28th April, 2019