Senior Legal Counsel (part time and flexi working considered)
Competitive salary plus benefits
Part time and flexible working considered equally alongside full time applications.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is one of the premier centres of genomic discovery and understanding in the world. Through big, bold, exploratory research it continually seeks new ways to unlock, understand and harness the wealth of information stored within genomes, in order to improve health and life on earth. As a result, it has been instrumental in some of the most significant initiatives and projects in genomics over the last 25 years. The Wellcome Sanger Institute leads ambitious collaborations across the globe to provide the foundations for further research and transformative healthcare innovations. Its success is founded on the expertise and knowledge of its people and the Institute seeks to share its discoveries and techniques with the next generation of genomics scientists and researchers worldwide.
We currently have a new opportunity to join our small, one site based team reporting into the General Counsel. You'll ideally have a minimum of 10 years PQE.
As Senior Legal Counsel for Wellcome Sanger Institute, you’ll:
- Act as a right-hand person and deputise for the General Counsel
- Lead the legal support on the organisation’s most strategic and/or significant projects
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of research, collaboration agreements that are strategic and/or sensitive.
- Provides legal support on complex and/or significant projects and issues, including to other functional teams (e.g. Finance, IT, Facilities Management).
- Support activities relating to the Wellcome Genome Campus, including advising on development activities in the context of the company’s charitable responsibilities.
- Acts as mentor and escalation point in the legal team, where required
- Qualified as a UK solicitor or barrister
- Enthusiasm for the Institute’s charitable mission in scientific research
- Substantial experience of applying legal expertise to a wide range of business and legal problems in a complex and dynamic setting
- Experience in intellectual property and/or IT law and in resolving issues around intellectual property, liability, warranties, indemnities, confidentiality etc.
- Commercially and financially awareness
- Demonstrable ability to give advice that strikes an appropriate balance between risk and benefit and takes account of legal, tax and commercial considerations
- Strong communicator with a track record of advising and influencing coupled with the ability to analyse and respond to a diverse range of situations
- Demonstrable ability to present ideas articulately and to effectively convey legal concepts to non-lawyers
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people (from scientists and academics to finance and operational professionals)
- Strategic thinker who can take a considered view of risk and the broader implications of given approaches and courses of actions
- “Can-do” attitude focused on looking for solutions
- Positive, open-minded with a flexible approach
Our Campus provides a unique and beautiful working environment with an impressive range of services and facilities and we pride ourselves on taking care of all our staff and provide a competitive and comprehensive range of benefits for you and your family, to compliment your lifestyle.
We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family-friendly policies and benefits including a flexible working policy for those who may wish to apply to amend their working pattern or arrangement
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Closing date: 12th May, 2019
Applications will be consider on an ongoing basis and as such the position may close before the closing date