Bioinformatics Apprentice - PaM
Salary £17,489 per annum plus benefits
4 year apprenticeship
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join the Parasites and Microbes research programme as an Apprentice Bioinformatician, whilst working towards gaining a BSc (Hons) Bioinformatics Degree at Anglia Ruskin University CLICK HERE
Watch this video to learn about what Bioinformatics is and how the Degree apprenticeship works CLICK HERE
We encourage individuals who are enthusiastic, eager to learn, willing, and able to work in a team environment.
You will be involved in multiple activities, run as a series of placements of up to a year, across several research teams that use genomics as a core part of basic and applied infectious-disease research. You will work collaboratively to support ongoing projects by analysing data, developing analysis pipelines and interfaces.
This is a developmental role to encourage new talent in the area of Bioinformatics. Following training complementary to your apprenticeships degree you will:
- Work with large sets of genome or transcriptome data.
- Develop and maintain Bioinformatics analysis programs and pipelines
- Use modern Cloud infrastructure to run pipelines
- Interact with wet-lab and dry-lab scientists
During your apprenticeship we can offer you:
- A senior team member dedicated as your mentor
- A permanent publically available portfolio of your coding and development
- Opportunity to publish results
- Mentoring program to explore your long-term opportunities
- A comfortable working environment with a first name culture, informal dress code, a company social calendar and modern offices set to the 55 acre grounds of Hinxton Hall and associated wetland reserve.
Application enquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 112 UCAS points or equivalent.
- A level Grade B (or equivalent) in at least one STEM subject, Maths or computer science desirable.
- At least 4 GCSE’s at Grade B/Grade 6 which must include Maths and English.
- If English is not your first language, you will be expected to demonstrate a certificated level of proficiency of at least IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
- An interest in science and technology
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Enthusiastic, flexible and proactive
- Ability to deal with changing priorities
- Ability to work within and contribute to a team.
- Eager to learn new skills
- Some knowledge of one of the following programming languages: python, R
- Some experience with Linux command line creating, renaming, moving, deleting files and manually editing files in a text editor
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Closing date: 30th May 2019
Interviews expected to take place in June 2019 and you will be able to commence your Apprenticeship September 2019.