We’re looking for a motivated and experienced expert in human histology and histopathology to join our team at COSMIC (Catalogue of Somatic Mutations in Cancer).
COSMIC is the world’s most trusted navigational tool for precision oncology. We take the overwhelming flood of genomics data and upcycle it into a commercially, academically and clinically valuable tool being used by tens of thousands of users every day.
With a big vision, we need a larger team of forward thinking experts. This exciting opportunity will see you leading the maintenance and expansion of controlled vocabularies defining cancer types and other diseases curated in COSMIC.
We’re in the midst of a revolution in health informatics, with genetics increasingly important in understanding human health and disease. COSMIC sits at the heart of this, describing millions of somatic mutations across thousands of cancers and tissue types. Due to our commercial success, we’ve seen an increased demand for COSMIC products. This new position within the team presents a unique opportunity to innovate and shape COSMIC’s future.
As the impact of genetic alterations on the disease progress is often tissue-specific, it is extremely important to systematically and accurately describe the tissue of origin of each sample. Using your expertise in histology, you’ll:
- Lead the expansion of the existing vocabularies used in COSMIC to encompass new disease types.
- Monitor and react to changes in widely accepted medical nomenclature standards to keep these vocabularies up to date and optimally supporting genetic studies.
- Work with other COSMIC curators to identify and define new data types . You will also stay in contact with curators of major disease ontologies to propose and discuss changes to their and our vocabularies.
Through high-quality curation, this work will have a big impact. The resulting resources have the potential to help to understand mechanisms driving various diseases, improve diagnostics, and develop new therapies.
You’ll have an expertise in human histology and use this to work collaboratively with the COSMIC scientific team. You will have substantial opportunities for learning and development, working closely with curators, bioinformaticians and cancer scientists in COSMIC and the Wellcome Sanger Institute. We actively encourage people who want to push boundaries and innovate.
- Higher degree in biological or medical sciences or equivalent experience
- Substantial knowledge and experience of cancer genetics and biology
- Deep knowledge of human histology
- Deep understanding and practical experience of cancer type classification
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently and to organise own workload
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Good team player
- Experience in histopathology
- Experience of working in clinical environment
- Experience of collaborating with bioinformaticians
COSMIC is the key information source in human cancer research worldwide and the world's largest source of expert manually curated somatic mutation information, which is growing rapidly in content, scope and its value. As a result of this large scale growth, our current intention is that, during the Spring of 2022 COSMIC will become a stand-alone company, albeit one which will be a subsidiary of Genome Research Limited, and at that time the intention is to transfer your employment from Genome Research Limited to COSMIC.
We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. We are open and collaborative; we share our data, results, tools and technologies across the world to advance science. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
Our team culture and environment fosters learning and development, providing opportunities for you to grow as a scientist/biocurator. We have a flexible work ethic and after an initial training period on campus, we can offer hybrid working with a mixture of working on site and at home. We will also consider applications from those looking for part-time hours.
This is a rolling advert, applications will be considered and interviews will take place on an ongoing basis and the role will close when successful appointment has been made.